Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Virtue of Contentment

"And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." (Luke 3: 14 KJV)

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (Philippians 4: 11, 12 KJV)

"Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition." (I Timothy 6: 5-9 KJV)

"Let your conversation (manner of life) be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." (Hebrews 13: 5 KJV)

From these words of holy scripture, we are directed to the value and virtue of contentment. We also learn from them how contentment is connected with "gain," with money and wealth. It is viewed as the antidote to greed, a deadly sin.

"Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom." (Proverbs 23: 4 KJV)

"Two things have I required of thee; deny me them not before I die: Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain." (Proverbs 30: 7-9 KJV)

It is a sin to covet wealth and to horde it. God gives extra to a man and wills that he share it with those in need. God does not give a man wealth so that he may live in luxury while his neighbors suffer in want. The giving of wealth is a test.

The wise king of Israel advised that one desire neither to be rich or poor, for each of these states, without divine grace and instruction, that Paul spoke about in the above words, provokes to sin. The state of wealth tempts to pride and leads to ignorance of the divine. The state of poverty tempts to theft and doubt and rejection of God. We should desire that God give us what we need and anything above that we should recognize as given to us so that we might distribute it to others.

Father, teach us contentment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Counter Stats
work sydney
work sydney Counter